(215) 368-5319
Suite #800-900 587 Bethlehem Pike Montgomeryville, PA 18936

Foot Pain

Foot pain can have many different causes, but when it occurs under the ball of the foot, it is called metatarsalgia.  It is named for the metatarsal bones that are part of your foot just like the long carpal bones you have in your hands.  The metatarsals start at the base of each toe.  Pressure on the ends of the metatarsals can induce foot pain in the ball of your foot.

Wearing shoes that are too tight or high heels puts pressure on your metatarsal heads. This pressure radiates out to the ball of your foot, where you feel the foot pain known as metatarsalgia.

If you are suffering from foot pain due to metatarsalgia, you may be able to gain some relief by wearing shoes with a wider toe box.

Foot pain can also be caused by ligament injuries and joint irritation.  Again, choosing comfortable shoes with a wider toe box can bring relief.

But if changing into more comfortable shoes doesn’t bring relief, then you need to look deeper into the root cause of the foot pain.

Metatarsalgia occurs in the region between the arch and the toes. The medical term for foot pain, metatarsalgia, comes from the name of the bones that are in this part of the foot: the metatarsals. The metatarsals are long bones at the base of each toe. Sometimes pressure on the ends of the metatarsal bones causes symptoms in the ball of the foot.

Foot pain can be caused by increased pressure on the metatarsal heads. This can be due to constricting foot wear or high heel shoes. If you have pain under the ball of your foot, try wearing shoes that have a wider toe box.

Other conditions that can cause foot pain include ligament injuries and joint irritation. These problems can also be relieved with more accommodating footwear.  Another treatment technique is to purchase inserts that have metatarsal pads for support.  These pads remove some of the pressure from the ball of your foot.  If changing shoes or putting metatarsal inserts in your shoes doesn’t work, then you need to see your podiatrist about anti-inflammatory medications.