The foot is comprised of several bones, tendons, muscles, and ligaments, which provide us with the ability to balance and stand upright. When babies are born, their feet consist of cartilage and will gradually form into bones as the child gets older, which is typically at eight years of age. Research has shown the importance of babies going barefoot until walking commences, which is generally at approximately twelve months old. This is suggested because the feet can properly stretch without wearing shoes, which may promote stronger foot muscles. Once your child begins to walk, it is important to measure their feet properly, which will determine the correct size shoe to purchase. These shoes should consist of a lightweight and flexible material, and any heel is strongly advised against. If you would like additional information about the health of your child’s foot, please speak with a podiatrist.
<!–><!––><!––>The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact Dr. Jeffrey Wachtel of Wachtel Family Foot Care. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- <!––>Make sure their shoes fit properly
- <!––>Look for any signs of intoeing or outtoeing
- <!––>Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- <!––><!––>Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- <!––>Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- <!––>Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- <!––>Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- <!––>Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water, and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Lansdale, PA. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.